The Underwood Agency
310 Ferry St.
Lot :: ORIG PLAT 44 X 44 FT SE COR LOT 69
Key :: 156-06000-0448
This Italianate Commercial style building was constructed in two stages. The east half (right side)
was completed in 1869 by Thomas Underwood. The west half (left side) was constructed by
Thomas Underwood's son Charles R. Underwood in 1887. The structure has stayed in the possesion of the
same family through the present owner; Craig Graham.
February 5, 1888: Thomas Underwood, insurance agent and leader in firefighting efforts, died of a stroke at age 59.
In 2004, the building is owned by Ruth A. Graham.
The "Schuyler Colfax" was the last privately owned fire engine in Lafayette. It was a small but effective rig that was drawn by a pony. The engine was owned by the founder of the Underwood agency Thomas Underwood.