This Italianate home was built in 1864 by the Kieper family. The side porch was added in the 1890's. From 1990 to 1999 it has housed the offices of the Meade Financial Group and a law office. For all their work in restoring this beautiful house, Byron and Jo Meade recieved a Wabash Valley Trust Plaque and a preservation award from the Tippecanoe County Historical Association. In 1999, Paul and Barbara Dixon purchased the home and have taken up residence there. Paul Dixon operates a Allegro Violin Shop from a room in the rear of the house. In 2000, the exterior trim elements of the home received a fresh painting which is shown in the picture above.
The approach to the home maintaines many Italianate features including the cast iron grilles on the original double entrance doors, the low pitched roof with brackets along the roofline, and the elaborate limestone window hoods. The windows are the original four over four with wavy glass. The home has four fireplaces with two on each floor. The grounds contain a brick carriage house and an original iron fence manufactured at the William T. Barbee iron works.
The interior of the home is more consistant with the Greek Revival style with Greek Key woodwork and dentil cornices. The home features a graceful staircase and a rolling ladder in the library. The front parlor has a monumental fireplace, a magnificent plaster medallion and the original brass-plated door locks on the backside of each door.
|156-05300-0500||BARTHOLOMEW & DAVIS LOT 60||DIXON PAUL B BARBARA H|