Bradfield - Nagel House
620 - 622 Ferry St.
Lot :: 25' x 126' Unplatted / 34' x 126' Unplatted
Key :: 156-06100-0601 / 156-06100-0590
This brick Italianate rowhouse owned by Richard Nagel since 1980, was built in two stages. 620 was built in 1858 - 1859, with 622 being completed in the early 1880's. The house was built by the Episcopal Diocese for Bishop Upfold, who resided there from 1858 to 1875. The nearby St. John's church served as the cathedral. The three story tower was topped with a metal finial showing the Bishop's staff as a symbol of his station.
The building is of all brick construction, inside and out, with plaster being applied directly on the interior brick walls in the earlier house. The later one involves plaster over lath on the interior brick. The arrangement of rooms is in the 'shotgun' style with one room directly behind the other. The early house stairway and sleeping room was provided for live in help. The second floor of the house has walnut woodwork with ten foot, burled inlaid doors.
Notable features of this house are wide overhanging eaves supported by large brackets, tall thin windows, low pitched roofs, and pronounced stone moldings. The limestone lintels above the windows and main entrance are inlaid with hand painted tiles.
The house at 620 Ferry has gas ceiling chandeliers which were removed and replaced with electric ones. However, the house at 622 was equipped with combination gas and electric ones, one of which remains and is still working.